Many of you have let me know that some of my image pairings & arrangements pop up in other venues such as Facebook Swipe groups (esp. the great COMICS SWIPES Facebook group). Well, I'm flattered the posts are popular and that people enjoy PANELOCITY's swipes and "inspired bys", regardless of where they are presented. After all, the Internet is meant for sharing, right?

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Cap, Bucky and Batroc - Captain America #105 and Avengers #106


Avengers 106 Captain America Bucky
1968: Captain America #105 Jack Kirby                                     1972: Avengers #106 George Tuska 

6 comments:

  1. Another example of Tuska swiping Kirby. You've caught a lot more than I ever noticed back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Silver!
      Btw, some background: according to the lettercol in Avengers #110, the Tuska art in Avengers #106 was originally created for 1969's Captain America #114. But Stan decided to change the Cap story, so new art was drawn (by Romita) and the Tuska art went on the shelf as inventory...and was dusted off when pages were needed to fill out Avengers #106.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info. This stuff all came out when I'd all but stopped reading comics due to the plethora of continued stories (and spotty distribution), followed soon after by the price hike from twelve to fifteen cents. I missed the handful of appearances of Rick Jones as "Bucky." It wasn't until later that I got a chance to see the Steranko Captain America issues, where Marvel finally got the coloring of Bucky's costume back to the way it was in the 1940s (probably due to comic historian Steranko's input).

      Delete
    3. Oh I hear you -- I never read those issues back in real time either. Thank goodness for the indispensable Essentials (and for DC, the Showcase volumes). It's been a lot of fun for me to catch up on what I missed!

      Delete
    4. Yep, the Essentials and the Showcase volumes have allowed me to "buy back" a big chunk of my childhood at bargain prices!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...