Many of you have let me know that some of my image pairings & arrangements pop up in other venues such as Facebook Swipe groups (esp. the great COMICS SWIPES Facebook group). Well, I'm flattered the posts are popular and that people enjoy PANELOCITY's swipes and "inspired bys", regardless of where they are presented. After all, the Internet is meant for sharing, right?

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Avengers #101 and #56 - Captain America to the Rescue



Avengers 101 Buckler
(Top) 1968 - Avengers #56  John Buscema
(Bottom) 1972 - Avengers #101 Rich Buckler

Update!
In response to Silver Fox's comment, here's a Kirby image that I'd stumbled on some time ago. It's from Captain America #105 (1968) and when I first saw it I was immediately reminded of Avengers #56 (and by extension #101). However I think the lead time is just too short between Cap #105 and Avengers #56 (the Cap issue was on sale a mere month before the Avengers comic); I doubt Buscema had access to this image. Besides, it's a fairly standard composition. 

Anyway, here's the Kirby image from Cap #105:  
Kirby Captain America 105
1968: Captain America #105  Jack Kirby

4 comments:

  1. Hm. Buckler swiping Buscema, who often swiped from Kirby...

    I wonder if there's an even older Kirby drawing out there that inspired the Buscema shot. That'd be kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Fox, sorry--this comment just showed up!

      And it's like you read my mind, because initially I had been thinking of adding a Kirby Cap image I'd noticed awhile ago and on which I'd scrawled "Avengers 56?!" It's a fairly standard composition, though.

      But it's from Captain America #105 and the lead/preproduction time is just too close to Avengers #56 (the two comics were published a month apart). So I doubt Buscema had a look at it. I'll post it anyway. See what you think!

      Delete
    2. Hm. I see what you mean. Tough call. But I'm going to go along with you and say that the Kirby illo and the Avengers 56 shot were drawn too close, timewise, for the Kirby drawing to have influenced the other.

      Delete
  2. Good swipe! The way the red blends, for a moment I thought Cap was choking Bucky!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...